My buyer knew exactly what she wanted: a townhome in Annabella's in Panama City Beach, and a two-car garage was non-negotiable.
There was just one problem.
Almost nothing matching that description was for sale.
One of the few available options was a for-sale-by-owner property that appeared, initially, to solve the problem. The identifying details of that property are intentionally omitted here out of respect for the seller's privacy.
We began negotiating.
The seller had previously sold another substantially similar townhome privately for approximately $285,000 and came into our discussions convinced that real estate agents added little value to the process. He was resistant to my involvement from the beginning, even though I represented the buyer standing in front of him.
After several rounds of negotiation, we worked through most of that resistance and arrived at a purchase price of approximately $280,000.
Then the transaction started coming apart.
When a Negotiation Stops Being About the House
My buyer's financing required some additional verification, and her lender was taking longer than expected to complete it.
I could have pushed everyone to sign first and sort it out later.
I chose not to.
Even though I represented the buyer, I did not think it was fair to ask the seller to take his property fully off the market until I had reasonable confidence that the financing would perform. If the lender later created a problem, we could have ended up fighting over a cancellation and release that never needed to happen.
The seller saw the delay differently.
Frustration took over, the relationship deteriorated, and he decided he no longer wanted to work with us.
At that point, I told my buyer something that probably sounded counterintuitive given how little inventory existed:
Let it go. Give me a little time to find you something better.
For a broader look at how I approach the search, due diligence, financing, and closing sequence, see the Emerald Coast home and condo buying process.
Instead of Fighting Over One Property, I Created More Inventory
Annabella's is a townhome community with many similar floor plans.
So I stopped treating the MLS as the entire market.
I personally hand-wrote letters to approximately 88 property owners in the community asking whether they would consider selling.
Several responded.
That outreach uncovered three off-market townhomes my buyer could evaluate - three opportunities that effectively did not exist before we went looking for them.
One immediately stood out.
It had the required two-car garage. It was a corner unit. It was in better overall condition, in a location within the community my buyer preferred, and the sellers were considerably easier to work with.
Most importantly, we now had leverage.
We were no longer trying to convince one difficult seller to sell us the only house available. We had options.
After rounds of negotiations, my buyer ultimately purchased the property for $275,000 and closed on September 16, 2025, with a $5,000 seller credit at closing plus $8,500 of the seller's proceeds held in escrow for the installation of a new HVAC system after closing. Taken together, those concessions represented $13,500 in additional value to the buyer, bringing her effective net cost to $261,500.
So the property that had not even been publicly listed ultimately gave my buyer the two-car garage she required, a preferred corner location, better overall condition, a $275,000 contract price, and an effective net cost of $261,500 after the negotiated credit and HVAC holdback.
You can explore the broader market context on my Panama City Beach community page.
Then the Original Sellers Called Me Back
About two and a half months after our original negotiations, the original sellers reached back out.
By then, their circumstances had changed.
They had reduced the price multiple times. The buyer they had once been willing to walk away from suddenly looked much more attractive.
They wanted to revive our deal.
But there was another complication: they now had a listing agent.
The sellers told me they were willing to terminate that relationship if I would convince my buyer to cancel and release the off-market property she was already under contract to purchase and return to them instead.
I declined.
I told them that if they had a disagreement with their agent, they needed to resolve it with their agent. I was not going to conduct negotiations behind another agent's back, nor was I going to encourage my buyer to abandon a good transaction simply to resurrect a deal that had already fallen apart once.
I politely but firmly ended the conversation and told them that any future business discussion needed to come through their agent.
My buyer stayed exactly where she was.
The Cost of Letting Emotion Drive the Negotiation
The original property had first been offered for sale on March 21, 2025, at $289,900.
My buyer had been prepared to purchase it for approximately $280,000.
After our negotiations ended, the property remained unsold for months.
It finally closed on November 13, 2025, for $267,000.
That is $13,000 less than the price my buyer had previously been prepared to pay.
And the $13,000 does not tell the whole story.
The sellers also carried a vacant property for additional months - continuing to absorb ownership costs, utilities, insurance, taxes, association expenses, maintenance, and other carrying costs while waiting for another buyer. Without their actual expense records, I would not assign an artificial number to those costs, but over that amount of time the additional economic drag would reasonably be measured in thousands of dollars.
In other words, the gap between the deal they rejected and the result they ultimately received was greater than the headline $13,000 difference in sale price.
The property remained on the market for nearly eight months from its original listing date before finally selling.
Meanwhile, my buyer had already closed on a better-suited off-market property for $275,000, secured $13,500 in combined seller credit and HVAC funding, and brought her effective net cost down to $261,500.
That contrast is hard to ignore.
There Is a Bigger Lesson Here Than FSBO vs. Agent
It would be easy to reduce this story to a warning about selling a property without representation.
That is too simplistic.
The more important lesson applies equally to sellers and buyers: emotion is expensive in negotiation.
A seller can become offended by a buyer's offer.
A buyer can become emotionally attached to a particular house.
Someone can become frustrated with a delay, take a negotiating position personally, or decide that "winning" a disagreement matters more than the economics of the transaction.
Once that happens, rational decision-making starts to disappear.
One of the most underrated functions of a good real estate agent is acting as an emotional buffer between two parties who are making decisions involving hundreds of thousands - or millions - of dollars.
We absorb frustration.
We separate the person's behavior from the economics of the deal.
We slow conversations down when they become unnecessarily adversarial.
And sometimes our most valuable job is telling a client, This deal no longer makes sense. Walk away.
That is what happened here.
Sometimes the Best Negotiation Is the One You No Longer Need
When the original transaction collapsed, I could have spent the next several weeks trying to repair it.
Instead, I changed the problem.
Eighty-eight handwritten letters produced three off-market opportunities. One of them gave my buyer the two-car garage she required, a corner location she preferred, better condition, a $275,000 purchase price, and $13,500 in seller-paid value, resulting in an effective net cost of $261,500.
The property everyone initially thought she needed eventually sold for $267,000, months later, after the seller had already turned away a buyer prepared to pay approximately $280,000.
That is the part of this transaction I remember most.
The best leverage in a negotiation is rarely arguing harder.
It is having another option.
If you are looking for a specific property or community on the Emerald Coast and nothing currently on the market fits what you need, the public inventory may not be the entire inventory. Sometimes the better opportunity has to be found before it can be negotiated.